The Parish Church of All Saints' Hartford was originally built in 1180, on the site of a Roman watch tower, in its picturesque setting on the banks of the River Ouse. The walls are of pebble and stone rubble with stone dressings, and tiled roofs. Much rebuilding has been done especially in 1861 and 1895. Christian worship in the village can be traced back even earlier to 1086, when the Domesday Book records a simple wooden church, which was probably situated in the old vicarage garden. A further extension was completed in 2003 to add reception and heatingfacilities at the church.
Most of the architectural descriptions in this booklet are based on those found in the Royal Commission of Historical Monuments, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Huntingdonshire. See appendix 1 for a glossary of some of the architectural items.
The Nave (37' x 17 1/2') has two arcades. The north arcade was built in c.1180, and has four bays with rounded arches of two orders. The outer order is square and the inner order is square chamfered. The west-end arch and the respond-corbels are restorations. The round columns have moulded capitals and bases. The south arcade built in c.1190 has four bays, with two-centre arches of two chamfered orders. The round columns have moulded capitals and restored bases. The west-end arch and the respond-corbels are restorations. The western arch and the chancel arch were rebuilt last century. In the Nave you will find amongst other things:
Chest:Made of oak, with moulded styles and rails, front with three panels carved with conventional flowers and carved frieze, moulded and panelled lid and sides and flat ball-feet, early 17th century.
Font: The square bowl of the font sits on a circular centre and dates from the 12th Century. The four side, angle shafts and the base belong to the 18th Century. This was moved to its present position in the centre of the west-end during restoration in 1895, from near the south door.
Pews:Made of oak, probably in 1861, there is a notice in the vestry about them, but this is unfortunately undated. The account of the 1895 restoration in the Parish of Hartford Minute book mentions that the seating in the chancel was changed and the rest repaired and cleaned.
Pulpit: In 1895 this was moved a few feet to leave the arch clear. The stair rail was erected in memory of Granville Robert Chandler and his wife Gladys, May 1983.
"Wands of Office": Provided in 1926 by Mr Newbold to mark the churchwardens' seats.