All Saints’ ChurcH Hartford

All Saints’ Church Hartford

The Hollow

Hartford, Huntingdon. PE29 1XP


Revd Geoff Boucher


on 01480 461846

The Church by the River

Welcome About Us The Church Bookings Book Room Weekly News Latest Service Sermons Contact Us

In memory of Francis Trevelyan Egerton Cockburn-Dickinson

In the church there is one memorial window in the south wall of the chancel, which is in memory of the Rev. Cockburn-Dickinson's son, Francis Trevelyan Egerton Cockburn-Dickinson, who sadly drowned in 1885, aged just ten. This tragedy occurred on Saturday May 2nd 1885.

Francis Trevelyan Egerton Cockburn-Dickinson was born on 7th September 1874, and was the 3rd child of Rev. George Cockburn-Dickinson and the Hon. Ursula Elizabeth Denison. His mother, the Hon. Ursula Elizabeth Cockburn-Dickinson, daughter of Rt. Lord Londesborough K.C.H. and grand-daughter of Henry, Marquis of Conyngam, sadly passed away on 23rd April, 1880, just 32 years of age, leaving six children:

(1) Edith Jane Catherine Christophina Ursula

(2) Londesborough Granville Lawton Maud

(3) Francis Trevelyan Egerton   

(4) Edgell Antonio Albert Fitzgerald  

(5) Eveline Haroldina Elizabeth Carnegie

(6) George Victor Conyngham.


From the tender age of 8, Francis Trevelyan Egerton Cockburn-Dickinson was reader at Hartford Church, and on that fateful day in May 1885, the 'Local News' column of The Hunts Guardian Friday May 8 1885 recorded the following:


On Saturday last (May 2nd) an inquest was held at the King of Prussia public house in this village on the body of Francis Trevelyan Egerton Dickerson aged 10, son of the Rev. G. C. Dickerson, vicar of Hartford, who was taken out of the water dead that morning. It appeared from the evidence of Elizabeth Hitch, one of the domestic servants in the family that on Friday, the deceased, his younger brother and the vicar were working in the garden before early dinner, and as was supposed they all went into the house about 1.00 (sic) to dine. The deceased disappeared from the house and the vicar and the other son sat down to dinner, but as deceased did not go to dinner also a search was made for him about the house and garden. Witness ultimately went to the riverside and there she found the jacket that had been worn by the deceased, but could not find him anywhere. A search in the river was then made for the body until late in the evening, but without success. His cap was found in a chair in the kitchen. The dog was kept near the boathouse and deceased used sometimes go and fetch the dog, but it was not there when he went to the boathouse. Did not think deceased knew the dog was brought from the boathouse. George Crow, labourer, Hartford, deposed to finding the body on Saturday morning about four yards from the bank. The water was about 20 feet deep where he pulled it out. The jury returned a verdict of "accidentally drowned in the river Ouse.